CALL NOW 905-333-8888



Income Replacement Benefits after a Car Accident

Income Replacement Benefits after a Car Accident

For a car accident victim, nothing is more stressful than the lack of cashflow. Accidents can send people into brutal crushing debt. When the cashflow stops all facets of a family’s financial life can be negatively affected, from paying the mortgage or car payments to paying for your kids’ hockey and dancing. Nothing is more stressful on an individual or family than the loss of income.

If you or your loved one has been injured in a car accident it’s important that you speak to an experienced Hamilton car accident lawyer who can help you recover income replacement benefits immediately. Lalande Personal Injury Lawyer have represented car accident victims in the Hamilton area, and all over the province of Ontario since 2003. If you are allowed one is been involved in serious car accident, contact us today, no matter where you are in Ontario by calling us at 1-844-LALANDE or local throughout southern Ontario by calling us at 905-333-8888. Alternatively, you can send us confidential email through our website or chat live with our live chat operator 7 days a week 24-hours a day. Our Hamilton Car Accident Lawyers are here to help you recover justice – in a time of need.

What are Income Replacement Benefits?

If you or a loved one has suffered a serious injury of impairment because of a car accident, motorcycle accident, trucking accident, bicycle accident or any other type of accident involving a motor vehicle, you may be entitled to what is called an income replacement benefit to help supplement your finances. The payment of Income Replacement Benefits (“IRBs”) can help ensure that a victim of a motor vehicle accident (“MVA”) has financial assistance while they concentrate on their physical/emotional/psychological rehabilitation.

After a car accident, Income Replacement Benefits (IRBs) compensate accident victims for their loss of income from employment or self-employment, so long as the applicant meets the necessary requirements. The SABS puts tight limits on the amount of income that can be recovered under the SABS, and many applicants will find that the income replacement benefits they receive do not adequately compensate them.  Many will have to look to a lawsuit against the at-fault motorist who hurt them to recover additional loss of income. If you have been in an accident – call us for your free consultation today at 905-333-8888 or send us an email through our website.

How much Income Replacement am I entitled to?

Starting one week after the accident, IRBs compensate an insured person for 70% of gross income up to a weekly maximum of $400. The maximum amount can be higher if you purchased optional benefits prior to your accident. 

Are Income Replacement Benefits Taxable?

No – Under the Statutory Accident Benefits Schedule (SABS) in Ontario, income replacement benefits are meant to compensate individuals for lost income due to a motor vehicle accident. According to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), income replacement benefits received under a policy of automobile insurance due to a motor vehicle accident are not taxable.

Can I Receive an Income Replacement Benefit?

Initial entitlement to income replacement benefits depends on whether or not you were working at the time of the accident.

Income replacement benefits are available under the Statutory Accident Benefits Schedule (SABS), which is a part of Ontario’s no-fault auto insurance system. If you are injured in a motor vehicle accident, you may be entitled to receive IRB if you meet the following conditions:

  1. You were employed or self-employed at the time of the accident or had been employed for at least 26 weeks out of the 52 weeks prior to the accident.
  2. You suffer a substantial inability to perform the essential tasks of your occupation as a result of the accident.
  3. You applied for the benefits within the specified time frame, usually within 30 days after receiving the application form from your insurance company.

Keep in mind that there are specific rules and guidelines for eligibility, and the amount of benefits you receive may depend on various factors, such as your pre-accident income, any other benefits you may be receiving, and the severity of your injuries. It is always a good idea to consult with a Hamilton Car Accident Lawyer or your insurance company to determine your specific eligibility for income replacement benefits after an accident in Ontario.

What if you Were NOT Working at the time of the Accident?

If you were not working at the time of the accident you may still qualify for income replacement benefits. In order to qualify you must not have been employed or self-employed at the time of the accident, you are at least 16 years old, employed for at least 26 weeks during the year prior to the accident; or you were receiving benefits under the Employment Insurance Act, S.C. 1996, c. 23 (Canada) at the time of the accident. In addition, you must have developed an impairment as a result of, and within the first 104 weeks after, your accident and have suffered a substantial inability to perform the essential tasks of your employment in which you spent the most time during the 52 weeks before the accident.

What if I was Self-Employed?

Income replacement benefits apply to both employed and self-employed applicants. Under section 3(1) of the SABS a self-employed person is either a:

  • Sole proprietor or partner, other than a limited partner, of a partnership engaged in a:
  • trade;
  • occupation;
  • profession; or
  • other type of business.
  • Controlling mind of a business:
  • carried on through one or more private corporations; and
  • who owns some or all of the shares of the private corporation(s).

The SABS defines “self-employment” as “a trade, occupation, profession or other type of business the essential tasks of which are carried on by a self-employed person”.

What Happens after 2 years or 104 weeks of Collecting IRB’s?

After the 104th week post-accident the criteria for continuing to collect income replacement benefits changes. The majority of IRB denials occur at the 104 week mark as the test for IRBs changes at that time. After 104 weeks you must suffer from a “complete inability to engage in any employment or self-employment for which you are reasonably suited by education, training or experience” as opposed to the pre-104 week test of “a substantial inability to perform the essential tasks of your pre-accident employment”. After the two year mark, your insurance company will put you through a series of medical tests with their own doctors to determine if you are still entitled to income replacement benefits.

When to IRB’s start and how Long do they Last?

Payment of income replacement benefits are payable after the first week of your accident or disability and last as long as you meet the relevant pre or post-104 week disability test. Also, although IRB payments may continue until your death, the amounts of the benefit will be recalculated after you turn 65.

How do I apply for an Income Replacement Benefit?

You must submit an application for accident benefits. You must elect between a non-earner benefit or an income replacement benefit and you must submit a disability certificate (OCF-3). Your insurance company will provide you with an application with accident benefits (which we can of course help you fill out).

Your Disability Certificate is divided into 10 parts. Parts 1-4 are to be completed and signed by the claimant before giving the form to a health practitioner. The health practitioner then completes the rest and submits it to the insurance company. You may want our help with this to ensure consistency and accuracy.

Parts 5-10 are to be completed and signed by one of the following health practitioners:

  • Chiropractor.
  • Dentist.
  • Nurse Practitioner.
  • Occupational Therapist.
  • Optometrist.
  • Physician.
  • Physiotherapist.
  • Psychologist.
  • Speech Language Pathologist.

The list is broad, and the Disability Certificate will carry more weight if it is completed by a health practitioner:

  • Whose area of practice is related to the primary diagnosis.
  • Who treated the claimant prior to the accident.
  • Who is funded by OHIP.

Your family doctor is often a good choice.

Determination your Continuing Entitlement to IRB’s

It is important that you understand that your insurance company is entitled to re-evaluate from time to time whether you remain entitled to collect income replacement benefits. If your insurance company wishes to re-evaluate your continuing entitlement to income replacement benefits, it may request any or both of the following:

  • That you submit a new Disability Certificate within 15 business days. The certificate must be dated after the date of the insurer’s request.
  • That you attend what is called a “section 44 assessment”. What is a s. 44 assessment? When a plaintiff who has been involved in a motor vehicle accident opens an accident benefits claim (whether with their own insurer or, if they are uninsured, a third party’s insurer), they may be eligible to receive payment of certain benefits depending on their automobile insurance contract and the severity of their injuries. The insurer will, at some point, want to determine if the insured is, or continues to be, entitled to receive a particular benefit. The insurer will use section 44 of the Statutory Accident Benefits Schedule – to request one or more examinations of the insured to help make this determination. In other words, your adjuster will review your medical, rehabilitation, employment and/or other records to determine if your income replacement should continue to be paid. Often times, adjusters do not have the requisite medical training or expertise to determine if an insured should continue receiving a particular benefit. The section 44 examination allows your insurer to get an opinion from a regulated health professional or a vocational expert to help them determine whether or not you remain entitled to collect income replacement benefits.
  • After you attend the section 44 independent examination, and within ten business days of receiving the section 44 independent report, your insurer must give you and your health practitioner who completed your disability certificate and provide you with a notice of determination setting out if it agrees to pay or not pay your income replacement benefit, the reasons for the decision, and the stoppage date.

Can my Insurance stop Paying my IRB?

Your insurance company can only stop paying your income replacement benefits in the following circumstances if:

  • you fail or refuse to submit a new disability certificate;
  • if you do provide a disability certificate and the disability certificate does not support ongoing entitlement;
  • a section 44 report has determined you are no longer entitled.
  • if you have resumed your pre-accident employment duties.
  • If you did not attend a section 44 assessment, or did not cooperate once there.

Will I get Advance Notice if my Insurance Company is cutting off my IRB?

yes. prior to stopping the payment of your income replacement benefits, your insurance company must send you a notice advising you of all the reasons, medical and otherwise, for the denial.

What can de Deducted from my IRB?

There are a number of deductions permitted from the IRB benefits, including the following:

  1. Canada Pension Plan Disability Pension Benefits (CPP);
  2. Any gross weekly payments for loss of income received or available to the person as a result
    of the collision (i.e. employment insurance, disability benefit plans, workers compensation) and
  3. Collateral benefits (temporary disability benefits and periodic payments.

It’s best that you speak to an experience accident lawyer if your insurance company is trying to deduct from your income replacement benefit.

What happens to my IRB when I turn 65?

Remember, once your initial entitlement and amount of your income replacement benefits has been determined you will continue to receive IRBs so long as you continue to meet the qualifying criteria. These criteria change at two important times:

  • When 104 weeks have passed since your accident. After the 104th week post-accident the criteria for continuing to collect income replacement benefits change. After 104 weeks the claimant must suffer from a “complete inability to engage in any employment or self-employment for which he or she is reasonably suited by education, training or experience”
  • When you turns 65 years old and you are already receiving income replacement benefits at the time you turn 65 years old, you will see a decrease in the amount of your IRB but will no longer be subject to any entitlement criteria. No matter what level of impairment you have you will receive the adjusted amount until your death.

How do you calculate IRB entitlement after the age of 65?

If you are receiving income replacement benefits prior to turning 65, you will see a decrease in the amount of your IRB upon turning 65.The change will be made on the latter of (section 8(1), SABS):

To calculate the adjustment, one would apply the following formula:

A. Take the weekly income replacement benefit amount you were receiving prior to turning age 65, but do not deduct for post-accident income from employment or self-employment.

B. Calculate the number of years claimant qualified for the IRB. Maximum is 35.

C. Multiply: A x 0.02 x B

Example A: Claimant A was receiving $400.00 per week for 10 years prior to turning 65.The calculation is: $400.00 x 0.02 x 10 = $80.00 per week.

Have you been involved in an accident and need to discuss your IRB’s?

If you have been involved in an accident and need to discuss your accident benefits – or income replacement benefits, you can email us through out website or call us today at 905-333-8888 today. Our Hamilton Car Accident Lawyers have been helping victims with serious injuries since 2003 – and we would be more then happy to speak to you about your case. remember – we NEVER charge for consultations, and we NEVER ask our clients for money upfront. We always work on a contingency fee basis, meaning that if we don’t win, you don’t pay.

Free Case Review

We Can Help. Contact us 24/7

start your case905-333-8888




or fill out the form below

    • img
    • img
    • img
    • img

    Clients Testimonials

    more testimonials

    Experience Matters


    Motorcycle Accident

    view all case results



    or fill out the form below